Friday, March 30, 2012

5 Suggestions on How to Make the NEW Cartoon Planet Last!

Starting tonight, on the weekend of Cartoon Network's 20th Anniversary, Cartoon Planet returns with Brak and Zorak hosting the old Cartoon Cartoons, such as Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, Foster's Home, Cow and Chicken, and more. I know this is inspired (using the word lightly) by Teennick's The 90s Are All That, but I think this has potential. I only have a few suggestions on how to make the block more accessible to not only the previous generation, but this one as well. So, if Cartoon Network reads this and I doubt it, I hope they take these suggestions and put in the block if it becomes successful.

1. Memorable episodes from the more current Cartoon Cartoons


I know there are people out here that aren’t too happy that Chowder and Flapjack are being included in the block, but let’s remember what this block is trying to do: bring back the old Cartoon Cartoons. Adventure Time and Regular Show has some likeability and clearly differs from each other. Flapjack features some of Pendleton Ward’s work (My Guardian Angel’s Trying to Kill Me) and Chowder has some decent episodes too {Mung on the Rocks, Sing Beans, The Flibber-Flabber Diet}. As long as Cartoon Network puts out memorable segments in their block, there will a peaked interest of some of the shows they used to run.

2. Revival of some Cartoon Planet songs

I heard on Twitter that Andy Merrill, the voice of Brak, is working on some new songs to put in-between Cartoon Cartoon segments. I don’t know what to expect in those new songs, but I think it would be appropriate if you reintroduce some of the older songs. Highway 40, It Smells Like Cartoon Planet, and What Time is It? are some good examples, but I think the best idea is to bring back the Wake Up Song….because you’re already showing some live-action content, I think we can live if you do that.

3. Appearances of other Cartoon Network characters, old and new

I know Space Ghost is going to be nowhere on this project, but I want some other characters from the network’s past to make appearances. Here are some that I think would be a good idea.

* Meatwad (I know he’s an Adult Swim character, but Brak and Zorak was on the same block as he was for a little while. Plus, he’s the less cynical of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force and I think he would do a good job trying to say something good about today’s Cartoon Network)

* Mordecai and Rigby (If you’re going to promote this show, these two are a good idea that shouldn’t be ignored. I’m sure these two have some memories on Cartoon Network and Regular Show is basically just one part nostalgia cruise. I also want Brak and Zorak to have mixed opinions about these characters)

* Blip the Space Monkey (I think it would be funny if Zorak complained that Space Ghost just left them his monkey for no good reason)

4. Extend the block until 10PM

I don’t care about King of the Hill (OK, out of context there), but at least don’t start Adult Swim until 10PM. The point of this block is to reintroduce the old Cartoon Network shows for a new generation. Kids are probably going to be clamoring for more if they like what they see just as much as they want more of what they already watch on this network, which brings to my final suggestion.

5. More publicity material

I’m serious. Viral media and only one commercial do not make a big revival project. If you want this block to succeed, bring back some old Cartoon Network routines with the Powerhouse music and maybe show some Looney Tunes, MGM, or Popeye shorts as a part of your Toon Extra. You can try opening up a Facebook and Twitter account dedicated to Cartoon Planet, even start a website based on the nostalgia factor. I know you’re taking this from Nickelodeon, but there are some people that grew up on Cartoon Network too, and if you’re willing to focus less time on it, then I guess Adventure Time is your only life support.


So, I hope all of you enjoy Cartoon Planet. It will be on every Friday night from 8PM to 9PM. So, get watching and see why Cartoon Network used to be the best place for cartoons. Until then, let me give all of you an idea what Cartoon Planet was about.
 

No comments: