Saturday, October 16, 2010

Comic Book Guy: The Comic Book #3

Last month on Random Fandom…

A legend dies. A comic book shop dies. The Internet dies. Negative reactions to directors die. This was the prologue of the war of the century. No man or woman ever slept in comfort knowing there is a huge amount of L.A.R.Ping and role-playing outside their homes. No kid ever wanted to hear about Superman or Spider-Man or even Spawn without growing into an extended argument.

This was known as the war of Geeks versus the Nerds. The nerds had their revenge…more than once, but now it’s the geeks’ turn. It was never a time, until now, where cards and costume accessories were scattered in the battlefield. May God have pity for these troubled souls.


The Fight of the Decadal-Century!
Anyways, welcome to Random Fandom, where I review out of my mind about the things I find. Last month, the death of Comic Book Guy from Simpsons lore was a big step for Bongo Comics. They then decided to make an aftermath on what Springfield would without him, which didn’t go so well. Marge now runs the Android’s Dungeon, removing anything that was violent and obscene {in short, good}, the Internet was shut down because all the snark CBG made for the directors were no more, and a war between the intelligent nerds and the tech-savvy geeks began.
So, let’s see if we get Comic Book Guy: The Comic Book over with! Why? Well, getting off-topic for a moment, thanks to Archie Comics, Sonic the Hedgehog comics has introduced Cream the Rabbit, one of my favorite recent next-gen Sonic characters, into Mobius. I found out that there’s going to be a 4-part series in Sonic Universe, which is an ongoing series that’s related to the Archieverse. I wanted to finish my previous mini-series, so I can move on to the next one.

And giving how I have random reviews wedged between issue numbers, I wanted to do something different for a while before I can move on to the next part. So, I’ve decided that next month will debut my review for BOTH of the penultimate and final issue of Comic Book Guy. I want my next mini-series to begin ASAP!

So, with that out of the way, let’s see what turmoil awaits in Comic Book Guy: The Comic Book #3!

STORY:

Hiding a newfound hobby
is hard. I'm still trying to
seal away my Sesame Street
obsession.
The story starts up with the Geek/Nerd war, already in progress. The police are helpless against these acne-covered young adults and only Homer Simpson can stop it. He does so by pushing a nerd. Threatening to do some more if they don’t stop, Homer ended the war with a peace treaty between the nerds and geeks. That takes care of one plot element...thr most exciting one in this issue. Damn it all.
Meanwhile, Bart is in a search for a new hobby since Marge made the comic store much more boring. He succeeds on finding a newfound hobby called knitting thanks to Abe Simpson.

After that bit of B-Story, Marge closes up the store and sleeps for a little while, dreaming she is the world of Little Lulu…and eventually from it, she finds out that Comic Book Guy may still be alive. Plagued by the dreams as well, Lisa wants to dig up CBG’s grave to see if his body is still intact, I’ll see if you can guess if it’s still here. Whatever your guess is, Lisa is still not convinced. She decides to investigate on CBG’s death herself, and joining her is Ralph Wiggum. He tells me to burn things…unnecessarily things.

Not funny, player!

Yeah, I don’t care.

ART:
Now, since I’m going to say the same thing as my last two Comic Book Guy reviews, let me at least add some things that are different this time.


He should team up with The Tick's
Brainchild.
First, the comic takes us to a slight detour into Marge’s dreamworld in a Little Lulu comic. The artstyle is familiar to those of you who read about the adorable little moppet before. The most hilarious thing to come out of this was Little Burnsie, using his unfair advantage to coach a bunch of pro baseball players to face off to a bunch of children.
Second, I need to credit the artist who was responsible to this {and more} because this is going into a rut; I’m going to have to credit somebody. His name is John Delaney. The guy was responsible for other Bongo Comics as well as some Bruce Timm DC stories that were in print.

Maybe I might see this guy again someday, but that depends if I go into an Adventures in the DC Universe issue.

WRITING:
Now, since I’m going to use this as good writing instead of humor, I might has well give you some background information to the writer and comment on how well or poor he did.


That's nothing. This is the same
reaction from a black rally.
The writer in this case is Ian Boothby, who is also responsible to some Bongo Comics stories. His work is also on some Powerpuff Girls issues and a story from the 2007 DCU Infinite Holiday Special entitled “Father Christmas”, featuring the Flash.
How he did on the story you ask? As usual, you can find many pop culture references from fandom’s past here as well as some laughs here and there. My favorite part however is Homer trying to break up the nerds and geeks from fighting by yelling “JAR JAR BINKS IS THE GREATEST STAR WARS CHARACTER EVER!” Put that to stop an argument and you’re bound to make people forget what they were talking about.

FINAL VERDICT:
I don’t have anything else to talk about in this comic. Probably because most of the segments are becoming old hat. It's a shame, I really wanted to see the Nerd/Geek War a little bit longer, but I believe the story arc is how Springfield is coping with the death of Comic Book Guy and how they are making it as it used to be when he was alive.

All and all, I really hope Comic Book Guy returns soon, and if not, well, give us some excuse on why he’s not here anymore!

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I must read the first issue of Tiny Titans/Little Archie. I’m not into Little Archie! I’m into the latter.

RATING:
* * *

MEANWHILE, IN A ZONE BEYOND OURS…

So, you’re planning to review Treasure Team Tango. Well, I’ve expected more excuses than that wretched goody-two-shoes rabbit! No matter, once I’m inside the Regular Zone, I’ll get what I wanted, and then I’ll use that to overthrow you.


After all, you get rich by selling emeralds. D-did that come out wrong? Because it sounded like it did. OK, how about this? After all, Sol is good for the skin. Even worse? Sir, I need you to come up with better zingers! Are you still on phonoscreen? Damn it all.

Comic Book Guy: The Comic Book will end its run soon, and when it does, the next story arc will give me all the answers I need. Right, sir? Oh yeah, he’s off the phonoscreen. He really needs to pay more attention to my demands.

THE ANSWER FOR IF THE BODY IS INTACT!




No comments: